Architectural Construction Administration Specialist
Location: Portland, Oregon
Type: Full Time
Why SERA? SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
What you will do Lead the day-to-day project management of the construction process as a representative of SERA and work with owner and contractor to solve problems in a timely manner. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is skilled at managing their time and process.
Why this role is important This role is critical to ensure the design intent is carried through to the final product and protect the firm. You’ll be using critical thinking and proactive problem-solving skills to anticipate and/or resolve issues. Summary Responsible for execution of the Construction Administration services on select projects. You will be able to guide projects, using your experience and professional judgement to craft the final outcome. You will be able to influence exciting projects across a wide variety of types and clients.
Duties and Responsibilities Primary
1. Understand and ensure adherence to SERA's standards.
2. Attend on-site meetings and visits, and complete field observation reports.
3. Perform independent construction contract administration and receive guidance for unusual or complex issues, as needed.
4. Participate in project reviews regarding project costs, budgets, and adherence to schedule.
5. May supervise, coordinate, plan and review the work of up to 1-2 staff members. This may include the mentoring of staff on project teams. Review the work of outside consultants.
6. Use the building code to develop architectural drawings and revision documents. Provide code research and interpretations supporting the project objectives during construction.
7. Support the project by interacting/negotiating with jurisdictions during the construction process.
8. Interact with the construction team (internal and external) to achieve project goals.
9. Familiarity and adherence to project contract requirements.
10. Assist design teams with QA/QC review of design drawings and specifications.
1. Be a resource to and for other SERA staff.
2. Be familiar with current trends in the A/E/C industry.
3. May participate in the management review of staff and provide constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement.
4. Other duties as assigned.
Education + Experience
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Construction, or related field.
Six or more years of professional experience required
Experience with (or ability to learn) Autodesk Revit, MS Office Suite, Newforma, and Bluebeam preferred.
What you’ll bring:
Possesses knowledge of (or ability to learn) the IBC/ADAAG and possesses the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
Possesses knowledge of (or ability to learn) other codes such as NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI.
Ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
Advanced ability to determine the right tool for the task.
Advanced ability to prioritize and evaluate multiple important tasks.
Established critical thinking to identify strengths, weaknesses or alternate solutions to a problem with limited supervision.
Established professional judgment and decision-making processes to determine the most appropriate course of action.
Ability to resolve conflict within project teams and with external partners.
Ability to negotiate with and/ or advocate for team members, consultants, clients, jurisdictions for the benefit of SERA and the project.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required) SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SERA is a progressive, 100% employee-owned architecture, interior design and urban design & planning firm based in Portland, Oregon. Since 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. In 2015, we opened a second office in the San Francisco Bay Area where we service Silicon Valley and other California clients.
Our culture reflects our commitment to great design, client service, and sustainability. SERA provides our employees with an enjoyable work environment and opportunities for professional and personal development.