HGA is an award winning, interdisciplinary design firm with architects, engineers, planners, lighting designers, landscape architects, and interior designers working together to create holistic designs for healthcare, the arts, community, education, corporations, government and district/campus energy clients.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Project Architect to join our ACE (Arts, Community and Education) practice group, working out of our Alexandria, VA office on a variety of projects throughout the country. The position requires excellent communication, time management and technical skills as you will work closely with a Senior Designer and Project Manager developing non-routine and complex design concepts in a manner responsive to the client's needs and deadlines. Depending on project type and scope, you must be able to determine the right amount of effort needed to generate mid- to high-level documents in an efficient and timely manner. The candidate will also have multiple opportunities for client interaction and will help our team maintain a commitment to design and quality for all types of projects.
HGA is both team-oriented and employee-friendly, and social activities are integrated into our office culture. We offer challenge, recognition and personal visibility with an opportunity to be part of some great projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Develops a thorough understanding of projects’ design philosophy and provides major input in developing a design and building performance strategy and effectively conveys this to assigned team members when appropriate.
- Provides technical design input. Responsible for a project’s technical design effort, subsequent detailed design development, project coordination and quality control efforts during all phases of project work, in close collaboration with Senior Designer.
- Seeks creative and innovative solutions to assigned tasks and develops appropriate research and documents to support these solutions.
- Demonstrates strong project team leadership skills with an interest in project management.
- Actively collaborates with and coordinates work of consultants and knowledge resources to ensure the project deliverables are coordinated, integrated and support the design concept and performance goals of the project.
- Contributes to the preparation of design documents and leads the detailed development of construction documents during all project phases, delivering complete, accurate and coordinated project documentation.
- Advances the production of schematic, design development and construction documents drawings and specifications in compliance with project scope, schedule, cost and design intent.
- Maintains awareness of evolving building technology and systems.
- Reviews shop drawings, material samples and CD’s for conformance with design.
- Performs construction administration duties (e.g. RFI’s, RFP’s, change orders, etc.)
- Prepares reports and specifications; reviews completed reports, plans, cost estimates and calculations.
- Executes applicable agency review analysis (accessibility, zoning, life-safety, etc.)
- Maintains contact with clients, consultants and contractors during all project phases, participating in marketing, client and owner presentations as required.
If interested, please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio to www.hga.com/careers
HGA is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other statuses protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. This policy extends to all aspects of employment, including recruitment and hiring.