SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Dallas office of SmithGroupJJR is looking for a Science and Technology Studio Leader to join our team. Our practices offer local and national projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. We are seeking a highly creative, ambitious and experienced professional who is interested in setting a new architectural standard through the leadership of a growing practice that has a tradition of excellence.
Job Purpose: Leadership of the collective success and development of the Dallas Science and Technology Studio. Build the practice; promote Design Excellence through a holistic and collaborative approach to design and the practice; and to manage the day to day operational requirements of the Science and Technology Studio.
Working with us, you will:
- Consistently exhibit and demonstrate a commitment to SmithGroupJJR core values – Collaboration, Creativity, Community, Integrity and the Environment.
- Provide leadership and management necessary for the continuing development of the studio consistent with SmithGroupJJR’s strategic themes of: growing the firm, building expertise and designing holistically.
- Clearly demonstrate a high degree of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management skills.
- Develop and implement strategic objectives in concert with the corporate practice balanced score card and the office objectives.
- Be responsible for making sure the studio objectives are met.
- Develop and implement studio budget in concert with the office budget.
- Work with the Office Director and the Director of Operations to ensure that revenue and project performance targets are achieved and studio issues are addressed.
- Work closely with Business Development, Marketing and Disciplines to effectively market our services.
- Provide leadership on projects as the Principal-in-Charge and/or Project Manager.
- Be actively involved in projects through all phases, from initial client contacts through marketing pursuits, sales efforts, contract negotiations, project kick-off, feasibility studies, strategic planning, master planning, programming, conceptual studies, schematic, design, design development, construction documentation, bidding and award, construction administration, move-in, follow-up and on-going client relationship maintenance.
- Work with discipline leaders and staff assuring the technical, administrative and schedule targets are met.
- Lead/coordinate communication efforts within assigned studio and between other studio leaders.
- Provide input on staff including recommendations on recruiting, disciplining and dismissal of staff; salary and bonus recommendations; principal and associate nominations and year end and/or other distributions.
- Participation in national practice forums, and presentations at regional and national conferences.
- Contribute to thought leadership initiatives that support Science and Technology Practice and Studio
- Actively involved in community activities that support the goals and objectives of SmithGroupJJR.